From Chuka Umunna MP, Shadow Secretary of State for BIS
- At the start of the year, Chuka Umunna MP, Shadow Business Secretary, called for the UK to hold the first ever Small Business Saturday. He brought a coalition of businesses organisations together to make it happen and so it began.
- The idea comes from the USA. It helped increase spending in small businesses and a rise in long-term customers, and created a buzz on the high street. It also helped small business network with each other, championed their role in local communities and highlighted the role of entrepreneurship. American Express originally came up with the concept and own the rights to the name here too. They agreed to support a bottom up, grassroots movement here for no charge or financial gain, which is what the Small Business Saturday campaign is.
- Small Business Saturday has grown more than we could have imagined, with a huge number of small business organisations, councils (nearly a 1/3 are involved), corporates and others supporting. The media campaign is stepping up and will be featuring across broadcast, print and social media. It is set to be the biggest celebration of small business the UK has seen.
- It is non-commercial for corporates and bigger companies. They are supporting by for example, using their networks to promote small businesses and the day. One phone company is contacting 23 million of its customers.
- It is non-political. We started the campaign but it has attracted support from all parties. Vince Cable and David Cameron have given their support as have councils from all parties.
- Small Business Saturday enables us to put centre stage the great work that small businesses do. In Britain we don’t quite have the entrepreneurial story that they have in the USA, but we want to change this and Small Business Saturday will help.
Come and speak with representatives from Wolverhampton City Council to find out more on the 28th November 2013 – You can book your place now. And if you want more exposure book a business stand for £30.
Tosca is the charismatic founder of Wicked Spider, a specialist web design consultancy, training and video marketing agency.
Tosca thrives in opening up the world of websites and technology so that those without a formal training in the field can enter and feel empowered.
Tosca has recently been nominated for an Excellence in Digital Enterprise Award. Tosca is passionate about helping businesses like yours to achieve their goals.