There were an estimated 4.9 million businesses in the UK which employed 24.3 million people, and had a combined turnover of £3,300 billion.
- SMEs accounted for 99.9 per cent of of all private sector businesses in the UK, 59.3 per cent of private sector employment and 48.1 per cent of private sector turnover
- SMEs employed 14.4 million people and had a combined turnover of £1,600 billion
- Small businesses alone accounted for 47 per cent of private sector employment and 33.1 per cent of turnover
- Of all businesses, 62.6 per cent (3.7 million) were sole proprietorships, 28.5 per cent (1.4 million) were companies and 8.9 per cent (434,000) partnerships
- There were 891,000 businesses operating in the construction sector – nearly a fifth of all businesses
- In the financial and insurance sector, only 27.5 per cent of employment was in SMEs. However, in the agriculture, forestry and fishing sector virtually all employment (95.4 per cent) was in SMEs
- Only 22.5 per cent of private sector turnover was in the arts, entertainment and recreation activities, while 92.7 per cent was in the agriculture, forestry and fishing sector
- With 841,000 private sector business, London had more firms than any other region in the UK. The south east had the second largest number of businesses with 791,000. Together these regions account for almost a third of all firms
micro: 0-9 employees, small: 10-49 employees, medium: 50-249 employees
(Figures obtained from the Department for Business Innovation and Skills.)
Tosca is the charismatic founder of Wicked Spider, a specialist web design consultancy, training and video marketing agency.
Tosca thrives in opening up the world of websites and technology so that those without a formal training in the field can enter and feel empowered.
Tosca has recently been nominated for an Excellence in Digital Enterprise Award. Tosca is passionate about helping businesses like yours to achieve their goals.